Te Arawa waka, Te Arawa tangata, Ngāti Whakaue welcomed our manuwhiri whom travelled from as far as Ōpōtiki to Tūrangi and from Katikati in the Western Bay of Plenty to participate in the annual Māori Youth Leadership Summit held at the Rotorua Events Centre in March 2019!
Rangatahi heard from 5 amazing speakers who are experts in their own field.
- Kendall Flutey Co-founder & CEO of Banqer – a financial education platform & recipient of the Young New Zealander of the Year
- Potaua Biasiny-Tule - Te Arawa, Tūhoe, Te Whānau ā Apanui, Niue who is the Co-founder of DNA & 4CB - an animation & digital storytelling company
- Lee Timutimu - Ngāti Awa, Ngāi Te Rangi, Tūhoe, Ngāti Porou who is the Founder of Arataki Systems - NZ’s 1st proximity activated cultural content delivery platform
- Ngawiki Ormsby - Te Arawa, Ngāti Rangiwewehi who is the Founder of Tipu - a clothing label for children centred in Te Ao Māori
- Te Mauri Kingi - Te Arawa who is the Co-Founder of 4CB – IT Leaders in animation, content creators & storytelling
Over 140 rangatahi from 21 schools attended this Summit and they were mixed into teams of 6 and were taught the foundations of the Design Thinking approach using Kia Mau Talent’s Māui framework.
Teams were spread out across 5 zones and were taken through the Design Thinking Process to develop solutions to some of the key focus ‘problem statements’ below which were informed by a rangatahi Maori survey in the lead up to the event.
- How might we create bully-free schools in the Bay of Plenty?
- How might we help our school/s embrace cultural diversity?
- How might we protect and support our friends to make the right choices when they are facing difficult situations?
- How might we help rangatahi Maori in the BOP connect better to their Iwi?
- How might we create more opportunities to speak Te Reo in our schools?
Teams ‘pitched’ their projects to the entire audience at the end of Day 2 and they were all NEXT LEVEL!